Sunday, January 2, 2011

Hop Monkey, IPA, laurelwood, Oregon



Arriving at my local watering hole, I surveyed the taps and noticed a new Laurelwood handle, Hop Monkey IPA. Now, Laurelwood already has a delish IPA, the Workhorse IPA, so I was naturally curious with this new tap.

I sat down with my pitcher of the simian beverage in a corner to myself, I like to hermit myself when experiencing a new beer, in case its epic, I don't wanna share.

Pouring the Hop Monkey did not create much head foam and quickly gave way to a soft amber hue. Odor was faint but still gave way to a delicate hoppy note that teased and quickly retreated.

Initial taste is not surprising, true to its IPA roots, the Hop Monkey gives you a recognizable hop zig and then, suddenly, it zags. As the taste develops on the palate, there are citrus and honey notes that give way to a full malt onslaught. Strangely, as you session the beer through your first and second pints, the hops takes a back seat to the malt which causes the drinker to review the label. Yes, its still and IPA, but only in name as the beer developed a caramel and malty complexity.

My Itunes player has downloaded the Common Market Tobacco Road album which compliments the beer ever so well. RA SCION, a spiritual emcee and the face of the group, takes you on an lyrical ride through the album with his intelligent candor and easy delivery. Sounding a lot like Talib Qwali, RA Scion still holds his own and deservedly so.

track: Swell

"I been lost at sea, tossed around in this hell
Til some folks up in the Beacon guided me through the swell"

Easing back, taking a swill, I ponder my initial notion that this would just be another IPA. The beer now only gives its title little to no heed, hiding behind it all is a beer more akin to a strong ale in the English tradition.

A warm smile takes over my lips and the Hop Monkey comes to life, jumping off the handle and meandering under the tables of patrons, eventually making it over to mine. I invite him up and pass over a pint glass to which the monkey guzzles with gusto. Perhaps the name was intentionally given to mislead you, with the word "hop" in the title, but monkeys are mischievous creatures with complex personalities that unravel with time. This being the Pacific Northwest, hops is KING and it sells beers, but can also lead to unbalanced, overly hoppy beers. Perhaps this is Laurelwoods attempt to entice you with the hops, only to introduce the malty goodness of a well balanced brew, using the mischievous monkey as a metaphor for what awaits in the beer.

Well played Laurelwood.

Grade: Don Ho!





Mexican Food pairing: potato tacos with light tomatillo salsa

Music: Common Market, Tobacco Road

Brewer: Laurelwood

Pro eval: Beer Advocate

No comments:

Post a Comment